June 24, 2016
Kartesh visits the White Sea Biological Station
n.a. N. Pertsov
June 24 - The 2016 Interdisciplinary Arctic Expedition participants visited the White Sea Biological Station named after N.A. Pertsov (LMSU WSBS) to get acquainted with the research and educational work on the station and to film a documentary about the expedition. During the visit, the photographers fixed up a street exhibition of the large-format photos, met the WSBS director Alexander Tsetlin and the LMSU Geology Faculty vice dean Mikhail Tokarev.
About the station:
The White Sea Biological Station named after N.A. Pertsov is an internal structural unit of the Faculty of Biology of Moscow State University. It was built in 1936 as an educational and research center to train expert biologists.
The station is located on the Kindo Peninsula coast in the Kandalaksha Gulf of the White Sea and is an isolated settlement accessible only via sea or by snowmobiles along power transmission lines in winter.
The station employees and students have an opportunity to study diverse White Sea fauna. Geologically wise, the White Sea is young; it emerged some 20 000 years ago. The age of the sea gives unique chance to study its fauna, flora and bottom deposits during their formation stage. Other curious facts to research into are saltwater and freshwater species coexistence as well as intersecting Arctic and Atlantic fauna. Thus, the White Sea is a one-of-a-kind natural laboratory.
The golden age of the station began in 1951 when Nikolay Pertsov became the director. He dedicated his life to the work on station: he cared about better living conditions and better research opportunities. A 3-storey wet lab complex with running seawater system was built in 1967. In 1970s, the station got its own research vessel, optimal for skin diving research works. Pertsov contributed to the electrification of the station as well.
During Perestroika and the 1990s, the station was stripped of financing which led to deterioration. Despite financial difficulties, the students and researchers continued their work at the station. Mid-2000s saw gradual improvements, as the old buildings were renovated and the new ones were constructed. The station territory is now covered with Wi-Fi and mobile communication. The station’s fleet is expanding, and now researchers have six vessels at their disposal.